Generally alignment tabs aren’t sufficient if the aligned textual content stretches to the opposite margin. When that is doable, use a desk to regulate wrapping.
The article Easy methods to align content material to the left and proper on the identical line in a Phrase doc, because the title suggests, reveals you methods to use a particular tab to align content material on the margins on the identical line. You are able to do the identical factor in a header, however there’s one other approach to align content material to the left and proper margin, and it has a bonus over the tab: You may mechanically wrap content material on the proper margin so it doesn’t run into the content material on the proper margin.
On this tutorial, I’ll present you methods to use a desk to align content material to the left and proper margins within the header or footer in Microsoft Word. This system works within the header, footer and physique of the doc, however I’ll work within the header.
SEE: Google Workspace vs. Microsoft 365: A side-by-side evaluation w/guidelines (TechRepublic Premium)
I’m utilizing Microsoft 365 on a Home windows 10 64-bit system. Phrase for the online retains a header and you may even open it and modify it a bit. Nonetheless, you possibly can’t insert a desk.
Easy methods to keep away from a nasty wrap in Phrase
When utilizing a particular tab to align content material to the left and ring margins on the identical line, you may run into an issue if the content material at both margin is longer than one line can handle. Determine A reveals a easy instance of what you may run into. This occurs as a result of customers don’t totally perceive methods to use alignment tabs within the header.
By default, the header has two alignment tabs: heart and proper. We will greatest illustrate the default setup with a fast instance:
- Open the header space by double-clicking the header house.
- Enter your title after which press Tab, which can transfer the cursor to the middle of the header.
- Enter the date and press Tab once more. This time, Phrase units the cursor on the proper margin.
- Enter Web page 1. As you enter the content material, the right-alignment tab pushes characters to the left of the margin.
As you possibly can see in Determine B, you’ll be able to use the middle and proper alignment tabs with out doing a factor. This default comes with many advantages:
- You don’t should set the alignment tabs.
- You may change the margins and the alignment tabs will accommodate.
- You may change the web page orientation and the alignment tabs will accommodate.
- You may change the paper dimension and the alignment tabs will accommodate.
My recommendation is to make use of the default alignment tabs when doable.
If the content material on the left margin is so lengthy that it wraps on the proper margin, there is no such thing as a manner Phrase can maintain the proper aligned content material on the primary line (Determine A). Thankfully, there’s another: Use a desk.
Easy methods to use a desk to align header content material in Phrase
The issue at hand — textual content on the left margin that wraps on the proper margin displacing right-aligned textual content on the identical line — is uncommon. Nonetheless, when it arises, you’ll need a fast and straightforward answer. On this case, we’ll insert a desk that comprises two columns, one for the content material on the left margin and one for the right-aligned textual content, all on the identical line. You would additionally add a 3rd column for centered textual content.
To insert a desk into the header, open the header space and do the next:
- Click on the Insert tab.
- Within the Tables group, click on Desk.
- Within the ensuing dropdown, draw a desk with two columns and one row (Determine C).
- Drag the middle border to the proper to accommodate plenty of textual content within the first column. To take action, hover over the border till the cursor turns into the double-arrow cursor. Then click on and drag.
With the desk in place, you possibly can management when the textual content on the left wraps to the subsequent line, as you possibly can see Determine D. Nonetheless, you won’t need to show the desk borders. To show off the borders, do the next:
- Choose the desk by clicking the motion deal with within the top-left nook of the desk.
- Click on the Borders dropdown within the mini menu.
- Select No Borders from the dropdown (Determine E).
As you possibly can see in Determine F, the header now has no border strains. If somebody had been to open the header and begin poking round, they’ll discover the desk, however viewers received’t see it.
If you happen to add a desk to a Phrase footer, you may see extra white house underneath the desk. That’s as a result of Phrase all the time features a laborious return after the desk. To get rid of this additional white house, use Present/Disguise within the Paragraph group on the Residence tab to show laborious return symbols. Choose the image after the desk within the footer and set a font dimension of 1. Doing so received’t get rid of the white house, however it will likely be so small that you simply received’t discover it.