You’ll be able to import a static snapshot of a Google calendar into Microsoft Outlook to keep away from lacking appointments or scheduling errors.
It’s widespread to make use of a third-party calendar similar to Google Calendar even when you additionally use Microsoft Outlook’s Calendar characteristic. One may use Outlook in your PC and Google Calendar on cell gadgets. With two totally different calendars, you may need to see occasions from each Google and Outlook on the identical calendar to keep away from scheduling errors. Luckily, that is doable.
On this tutorial, I’ll present you how one can import Google Calendar recordsdata into Microsoft Outlook. In a future article, I’ll present you how one can subscribe to Google Calendar with Microsoft Outlook.
I’m utilizing Microsoft Outlook desktop and Google Calendar with Edge on a Home windows 10 64-bit system. You need to use older variations by way of Outlook 2013. Don’t fear in case your steps don’t match the article completely. If you happen to encounter a distinction, it ought to be slight.
SEE: Home windows, Linux, and Mac instructions everybody must know (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
What’s the distinction between import and subscribe?
When importing a Google calendar file (.ics), you’ll get a one-time static image of present occasions which you can then overlay together with your Microsoft Outlook calendars. Take into account that Google and Outlook aren’t syncing. Something you add to Google Calendar after the import won’t present up in Microsoft Outlook.
Subscribing to Google Calendar creates a connection between the 2 calendar apps so including an occasion to Google Calendar will present up in your Outlook calendar. It’s vital to notice that the connection goes just one approach — from Google to Outlook. Any occasions you add to Outlook Calendar won’t ever present up in Google Calendar by way of this connection, however you are able to do it.
The right way to import a Google calendar file
You may be questioning why you’d need to import a static show of Google Calendar occasions. If you happen to’re transferring all the things from Google Calendar to Microsoft Outlook, there gained’t be any extra occasions to see, so that you gained’t want a dynamic connection to your Google Calendar. Ought to such an event come up, you may import a Google calendar into Microsoft Outlook as follows:
- Utilizing your favourite browser, open Google Drive and select Calendar. You too can open your Gmail account utilizing your favourite browser to get to your calendar.
- Choose My Calendars within the pane to the left after which select Settings from the gear icon into the top-right (Determine A).
- Choose Import & Export within the left pane after which click on Export within the dropdown. On the high of the ensuing pane, you may import. Click on Export, as proven in Determine B, which is under the import choices.
- When prompted by your browser, save the calendar file. Relying in your browser settings, it might routinely save the file to the Downloads folder. If the browser prompts you to take action, choose a location to avoid wasting the exported file. Remember to word the placement so that you don’t neglect, particularly when you’re not going to import it immediately. Google will obtain a file utilizing your e-mail handle within the identify.
- Discover the exported file. Proper-click and select Extract All.
- Select a location, as proven in Determine C, and click on Extract. As a result of these are momentary recordsdata, there’s no motive to vary the default location. To see the extracted recordsdata, test the Present Extracted Recordsdata When Full choice. If in case you have a number of Google calendars, you’ll have an .ics file for every. There are two Google Calendar recordsdata proven in Determine D.
After exporting the Google Calendar file(s), import one into Microsoft Outlook as follows:
- Open Microsoft Outlook desktop and go to the Calendar window.
- Click on the File tab and choose Open & Export from the left pane.
- Select Import/Export to launch the Import and Export Wizard.
- Select Import an iCalendar (.ics) or vCalendar file after which click on Subsequent.
- Browse to the extracted Google recordsdata (Determine E).
- Choose a calendar file and click on Open. You’ll be able to import just one .ics file at a time.
- Click on OK, then select Open as New or Import, as proven in Determine F, to import the calendar occasions. This alternative is as much as you. If you happen to import it as a brand new calendar, you may show them collectively, as proven in Determine G, or overlay them to mix occasions right into a single view.
At this level, it’s best to see all of the occasions saved in your Google Calendar in Microsoft Outlook. Keep in mind, this can be a one-time snapshot. If you happen to add or delete occasions out of your Google Calendar after importing, the brand new occasions won’t present up in Microsoft Outlook.
The right way to import into Outlook.com
There are accounts of Microsoft Outlook failing to import from Outlook Calendar. It’s normally a server error which you can’t resolve by yourself. If this could occur to you, think about using Outlook.com’s calendar as a workaround.
To sync Outlook.com and Google Calendars, do the next:
- Open Google Calendars utilizing your browser.
- Copy the URL to the Home windows Clipboard.
- Open Outlook.com and click on Add Calendar within the left pane.
- Click on Add From File within the left pane.
- Within the ensuing window, click on Browse and find the identical file you imported within the part above.
- Click on Import.
After importing the calendar into Outlook.com, the Google calendar occasions may seem in Outlook.com’s calendar and in Outlook Desktop beneath Different Calendars. This system is unpredictable and should not work. It might present a brand new calendar, however not present present occasions. It’s definitely worth the attempt.
Now that you understand how to import a Google calendar file into Microsoft Outlook Desktop, you may understand it’s not what you want. If you wish to proceed to make use of Google Calendar and see new occasions in Microsoft Outlook, subscribe to the calendar.
In a future article, I’ll present you how one can subscribe to Google Calendar so you may proceed to make use of each calendars and see occasions from each in Microsoft Outlook.
To learn to overlay Microsoft Outlook calendars, learn The right way to view a number of calendars on the similar time in Outlook.