Power 5 just hit $3 billion in revenue while making NIL repayments
At a time when some (fans, coaches, athletic directors, members of the media, school presidents, and politicians) are outraged by the way the NIL has changed college sports, it is quite hypocritical that this crowd often remains silent. when USA Today Sports release their annual results — and discovered that the Power Five conferences collectively generated $3.3 billion in revenue for the 2022 fiscal year.
Who Will Beat No. 1 South Carolina in the NCAA Tournament?
Teenagers are constantly enriching adults.
In 2017, 2018 and 2019, combined revenue for the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, ACC and Pac-12 grew by an average of about 8.4 percent annually, according to the report. And if that had persisted — if not for a global pandemic — in 2020, 2021 and 2022, the projected numbers for the 2022 budget would have been more than $3.7 billion.
Here’s a look at the numbers by conference:
- Big Ten: $845.6 million – payout, $58.8 million (excluding Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers because they are new members)
- SEC: $802M – Payout, about $49.9M
- ACC: $617 million – payout, $37.9 million to $41.3 million
- Pac-12: $580.9 million – payout, $37 million
- Big 12: $480.6 million – Payout, $42-44.9 million
For comparison, here were the revenues of the Power Five in fiscal 2019:
- Big 12: $439 million – payouts ranged from $38 million to $42 million
- ACC: $455.4 million – payouts ranged from $27.6 million to $34 million
- SEC: $721 million – payouts were close to $45.3 million
- Big Ten: $781.5 million – $55.6 million paid to the 12 oldest members of the 14-team conference
- PAC-12: $530.4 million – payouts totaled $32.2 million
In case you forgot, COVID-19 really messed up money. For example, the NCAA and its member schools He lost $800 million due to the cancellation of the 2020 race. In 2021, when the league returned, the The NCAA generated more than $1.15 billion in revenuewhich exceeded 2019’s $1.12 billion. And I still haven’t mentioned that the Big Ten ended last August a seven-year, $7 billion media rights deal with Fox, CBS and NBC starting July 1.
All this money is flying around, but some are angry that the athletes barely get any of it.
“(Texas) A&M bought every player on their team. We agreed on the name, image and likeness” Alabama head coach Nick Saban he falsely claimed last May. As usual, Saban never mentioned that he had no problem with players making money for the conference The SEC brought in $777.8 million in the 2020-2021 fiscal yearwhich was $120.1 million more than the 2019-2020 conference.
Remember this and how much money these athletes make the next time people get mad the next time a player wants to renegotiate their NIL contract, as Isaiah Wong allegedly didor are you still upset about it Jaden Rashada was once offered a NIL deal it reminded me of a coach’s contract before he even went to prom. This is where the money is, and the adults want to keep it all to themselves.